abd08;293581 Wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Do you think it'll be possible in the near future to replace the
> Squeezebox Duet remote with the Harmony 1000 (song names et al
> included)?
>
> Thanks
> Rajiv

In its current build, I think this will never happen. At this time, the
1000 is a one-way IR device (transmit only), which will control just
about any device with an IR remote to include the Transporter and SB3.
The SBR does not have an IR port. In the future they might turn on the
Z Wave so it could control home automation but again this is no help
with the Duet or SBR.

I think that a lot of people just think of the SBC as a very fancy
remote when in fact it is a portable Linux Computer without a keyboard.
Squeezebox Controller uses a Samsung S3C2412 200MHz ARM processor with
64MB of RAM and 64MB of NAND flash, which is expandable via an SD card
slot. The SBC also includes a 3-axis accelerometer tilt sensor. So the
SBC is a WiFi-connected handheld device able to control the streaming
of network-based music with its Linux based Samsung processor with
information displayed on the 2.4-inch, 240x320 color backlit LCD while
using bi-directional communication with the server or PC that
SqueezeCenter is running on. There is much much more going on here and
this only covers the tip of the iceberg. Calling the SBC just a remote
does not do it any justice and this is shown in SD/Logitech choice of
the word Controller to describe it. The IR output and headphone jack
have yet to be activated, so more is to come from the Squeezebox
Controller!

Would I like to see a Harmony SBC or SBC 1000 (a 1000 with the WiFi
card, SBC guts, key matrix and touch wheel), yes I would. I was down to
one remote with my Harmony 1000 because it controls my Transporter and
SB3s (plus the better half no longer had to wake me up just to watch
TV!). It was always either sound with no picture or picture without
sound, now she just has to touch the “Watch TV” icon on the 1000 and
all inputs and outputs are properly set for her to watch TV. Plus there
are no remotes to look for just to get started. Just take the 1000 off
the cradle and press the appropriate Icon. I like the SBC but I would
like to also be down to one remote again with the bonus of having the
SBC as a floater Controller for the Slim Devices.

A nice idea, but the problem is the limited market for the device. Even
with most of the designing already done because both devices already
exist, it would probably add $200 to the already expensive Harmony
1000. I just do not see people paying $700 to $800 for a
universal/controller.

--
iPhone

iPhone

Last.FM http://www.lastfm.com/user/mePhone

Media Room:
Transporter, Vandersteen Quatro Signature, Ayre MX-R Mono Blocks, VTL
TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, VCC-5 Reference Center Channel, four VSM-1
Signatures, Runco 710, RAM Oppo DV970HD, VeraStarr 6.4SE

Living Room:
SqueezeBox Duet, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2,
Two VSM-1, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold

Bedroom:
Squeezebox 3, Thiel 2.3, NAD C370