I have couple of small powered Fostex PM04 these can be paired with a
sub.
They sound surprisingly good for such a small system almost like real
speakers ( i've got bitten by the audiophile bug, many years ago ).

I use these in my kitchen I don't feel that i actually need the sub, my
0.02$ is that a sub only complicate things in a budget system 2
reasonable good speakers usually gets you more bang for the buck.

Or you can buy one of those horrible plastic 5.1 computer speaker
systems for the same $ with matching craptastic sound

Btw i think speaker questions are better asked in the audiophile
sections.
You will get more answers i can guarantee that ;-)

good luck , a good place for powered speakers is your local hobby music
store they usually have some speakers to cater all these  hobby
musicians that DIY there own recordings, they don't like to pay $$$ so
theres often a wide selection of small monitor speakers for a good
price.

--
Mnyb