I'm trying to understand the sync process and how it work.

I see options in the SqueezeCenter settings that allow me to configure
how far my playback is allowed to get out of sync before it attempts a
re-sync and how often it should do this. I get this part.

When 2 or more players are synced, there is a slight delay before
playback commences. The units pre-buffer the music data in the chosen
codec and then are all instructed to start playback at the same time.
For the purposes of the discussion, we'll say they all start at the
time time, 0ms.

All the players are playing from the same source, the same bit and
bytes. They're in the same codec and go through the same decoder. The
end result should be exactly the same, for lossless codecs you'd expect
the decoded output to be exactly the same as the original CD.

So I'm trying to understand how 2 adjacent players can become out of
sync when playing back an identical source at the same time. The only
way, that I can figure out, is if one of them was playing at a
different speed to the other. It would either be faster, and skip
ahead...or slower and lag behind.

But with an accurate playback, how can this be?

So I understand why they need to be synced before playback commences. I
understand a re-sync might be necessary if a player is added or removed
from the group. What I don't get is how that sync can be lost at a
later point in time. Surely 23456ms after they start playback, they
should all be 23.456seconds into the track? Why would this not be the
case?

Can anybody explain?

--
jaffacake

Ben - eco conscious techie and author of Jaffa's Green Blog -
http://www.jaffacake.net