Felix,

I had to learn the IR commands.  I am not using an emitter.  My pre-amp
has a mini-jack input for accepting IR commands.

I was assuming there is no problem with my equipment set-up or the IR
commands that I learned because when I use the SB3 IR Remote and press
volume up it works just fine. The problem is only from SC (player
control web page, test button on the plug-in page, via the SBC).  Does
that theory make sense?

I wonder what else is different about our set ups that setting the max
volume to 60 worked for you.  Would I need to restart SC after doing
that? When I tried setting the max to 60, it definitely changed the
max, but it still behaved as I described in my message above.

I am now running:
SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0.2 - 19924 @ Wed May 21 00:42:13 PDT 2008 -
Debian - EN - utf8
IR-Blaster 5.2