darrenwm;304266 Wrote:
> If you just wanted to pop to a friends and demo use of the Duet remote,
> could you simply wire the Duet receiver or any Squeezebox into a laptop
> to access the files?

If doing a demo with both the Receiver and Controller, I would use a
laptop and do a Bridged Install. It is the last install type in the
manual. That way you do not have to deal with any outside networks. The
Receiver is Ethernet to the Laptop. The Controller is ad-hoc WiFi to the
Receiver.

I have done a demo with both an SB3 and Transporter from my laptop with
the laptop running SS 6.5.4. This worked well and let me use my FLAC
files instead of their MP3s. I feel the same can be done for the Duet
using SC 7.0.1. Try it all out at home first making sure it works well.
Then shut it down and take it to your friend’s house.

It has been suggested by friends that they do not mind downloading SC
to their PCs and for me to just bring the Duet, Transporter, or SB3.
That is all well and good, but do they have FLAC files for the best
demo possible? Do they really want you messing with their network? Do
you really want to get a call the next week that such and such does not
work since you brought the Duet over? Not me! For me it is the KISS
principle, do what is easy and less invasive while still doing the best
demo one can with FLAC files. I even bring my own power strip and
interconnect cables so all I need is one outlet and access to the
Pre-Amp/Rcvr or DAC.

Can you reach your SqueezeCenter over the Internet if they have DSL or
Cable? Sure you can. It works best with both ends having static IPs,
you're leaving ports open, means connecting to their network, and if
you made a mistake on your end you better be well versed in Go To My PC
or your driving back home.

--
iPhone

iPhone
Last.FM http://www.lastfm.com/user/mePhone
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono Blocks,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Bedroom:
SB3, NAD C370, Thiel 2.3

Home Office: