gsawdy;309980 Wrote:
> I am setting up SB3 in several rooms as part of a whole house system.
> In several of the rooms additional wiring would be extremely dificult
> to run but I do have a surplus pair of RG6 cable to each room.  Yes I
> should have run extra cat5 when the walls were open but I got cheap at
> the wrong time--penny wise ,pound foolish!  I want to use one RG6 to
> run 5v DC from a highly regulated power supply in the basement (to the
> SB3's mounted on the wall.) In the other RG6 cable I want to run 24v DC
> to the volume/distribution units from a second regulated power supply in
> the basement.  I need to know what the amperage rating would be for the
> RG6 and I'm not sure where to find this type of information as this
> isn't what RG6 is designed to do.  Maybe I can't use it.  I'm thinking
> I need it to carry at least 4 amps in each case.
>
> Please direct me to another forum, if this is the wrong place to post.
> Thanks   George

Their are about a million variables here. Can you see the jacket on the
RG6 to get the cable identifier off of it? Can this be done? It probably
can. But I would ask is it the correct application? As an example, what
if the power supply want bad? One could easily lose all the SB3s
instead of just one. Why waste a nice regulated power supply driving a
bunch of extra cable length that doesn't really need to be used? Why
create an antenna to pick up all the RFI and EMI in your home and take
it right to your source device?

Are there not going to be other wires? Interconnects and speaker cable
for the speakers? What is an extra wall wart PS cable when the whole
thing is not completely wireless anyway?

In my job we put DC on coax feedline all the time to power tower top
receiver pre-amps. The only reason we do this is to get a weak signal
down a 1800 foot run of feedline to the receiver. One less cable to
worry about and if a 3 inch round copper feedline can't carry 12VDC at
1A 1800 feet nothing can. Also remember all this stuff is outside and
without the possibility of burning down ones house if something goes
wrong in the walls!

Maybe listing your goal for this project would be a be help? What is
the end result you are trying to accomplish?

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
'Last.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/mephone)
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono Blocks,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Bedroom: SB3, NAD C370, Thiel 2.3
Home Office: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, VSM-1 Sigs
Mobile: SB3, Audioengine A5