maggior;311225 Wrote:
> My linksys router acts as my DHCP server.  My network consists of 2
> wireless squeezeboxes, 4 PCs, and 2 laptops.  Only my laptops are set
> to use DHCP.  My PCs are static because I have some port forwarding
> configured and the addresses need to remain static.  Perhaps there is a
> way to set that up and still use DHCP, but this was easy for me to set
> up.  My laptops are used elsewhere, so DHCP is perfect for them.

I'd be very surprised if your router doesn't allow you to make an IP
address 'fixed' 'reserved' 'static' or whatever terminology they chose.
It's designed for port forwarding scenarios.

> I went to using static addresses on my squeezeboxes to speed up the
> network connection process.  Often enough I move one of my squeezeboxes
> around to different rooms and I'd rather not have to wait for an IP
> address to be assigned while it initializes on power up.  Perhaps
> running a DHCP server elsewhere would help that, but it's just easier
> for me with this set up.

There should be no "wait" for an IP address, I'd expect a DHCP response
within a fraction of a second.

Open a command prompt on a windows DHCP configured PC and type:

IPCONFIG /release

then type:

IPCONFIG /renew

You'll see how long it takes to issue an IP address, it's truly
negligible.

--
jaffacake

Ben - eco conscious techie and author of Jaffa's Green Blog -
http://www.jaffacake.net