funkstar;317477 Wrote:
> The idea of adding a USB port to a SlimDevices product comes up every so
> often, so you are not the only one to want such a feature. I just can't
> see it happening.
>
> The thing is, doing this would create a product that is completely at
> odds to the ideas behind the SqueezeBox range of products. All of them
> require either a localy run server app (which can be on a full blown PC
> or a NAS box style appliance) or an internet connection for
> SqueezeNetwork (like a giant SqueezeCenter in the sky).
>
> The devices themselves are quite dumb. The only display what they are
> told to display and play what they are sent by the server. They do not
> access the music directly. For a single seat installation, this does
> appear to complicate things, but once you get into whole house audio,
> it makes a great deal of sense, giving you a central store of all your
> music, accessable by any player throughout the installation.
>
> If having local storage on your music player is a must for you , then
> you'll need to look at other devices. An iPod, Sony Walkman, Archos PMP
> or any other portable media player might be more suited to your needs.

A Squeezebox and a Ripserver pretty much equates to this.  The
Ripserver is a bit expensive still though and I would like one that
allow me to fit my own drives.

The new Linn device looks interesting (though much more expensive and
allegedly with an interface that is not the friendliest).

--
HectorHughMunro