Harry G;321588 Wrote:
> I've had similar thoughts and have wondered if the company disables
> 24/88 and 96 simply so 'files will buy the much more expensive
> product.
>
> I believe the Benchmark has a USB input. Can't you stream higher bit
> rates directly using Winamp or whatever? My DACs are older designs and
> don't have this option.

True, but getting transparent 24/96 out of a PC is notoriously
difficult, even if the USB interface supports it.  The Benchmark DAC1
USB claims to be able to do this without special ASIO drivers, but I am
not so sure. (My version doesn't have the USB i/f, so I can't try it.)
Perhaps I should trade up?  But I think USB is a lousy interface to use
when trying to guarantee low-jitter for PCM audio anyway.

I was wondering if I could find a DVD player with transparent SPDIF out
at 24/96 and use diskwelder bronze to burn my own DVD with 24/96 LPCM
tracks on it.  But finding a DVD player that is known to do this is
quite hard.

Thanks for the reply!

--
dsdreamer