bigfool1956;322267 Wrote:
> See now here's another thing, because in the UK we use ring mains as
> standard, which wikipedia implies is pretty unique. This means we
> shouldn't have 'spurs', and it should actually be quite hard to find
> another socket in the same room that is not on the same ring. However
> DIY rewiring (maybe a previous owner) can change that situation.
> Generally though using a different socket in the same room of a UK
> house is identical to using the same socket.

While we are talking electrics....
The latest regs for elecs in the UK are pushing towards radial rather
than ring circuits.  The advantage of the ring main is that the load is
reduced on the wire (ie. the chances of it going up in flames ;) as the
power can go either way around the ring, to that meaty 5kw fan heater.

You will normally have a number of radial circuits already, one for
your hot water cyclinder, one to your cooker etc.  So its not that much
different and is cheaper for house builders companies.

A spur takes its power from a ring main, so its affectively part of a
ring main, though you shouldnt spur from a spur unless you fuse it
correctly.

Note builders being builders, if you have an extension added to your
house, rather than rip up the floor to continue the ring main, they
will look in the ceiling and drop a spur from your upstairs ring main,
so one end of your room may indeed be on a different ring main.

Finally dont forget the Part P "gravy train", that you need to be
registered to be messing with some of your electrics anyway.. Though
when you move house normally the most you will be asked to have done by
the mortgage company is  a visual check of the consumer unit if you dont
have a certificate.

Anyway regarding wireless v homeplug.. I didnt notice any difference
myself, apart from the extra flashing from the network port keeps me
awake :)

--
cparker

www.spicefly.com - Visit for an enhanced Interface for MusicIP and
integration tips and tricks, Plugin coding tips and Spicefly SugarCube
the MIP AutoDJ plugin!