x94blair3;324342 Wrote:
>   A good source encoded in 1080p, on a calibrated 1080p display will
> look better than an upscaled DVD...period.
> -Nick

You'll get no argument from anyone on that point ( i think). I'm a tv
editor and so professionally I work with pristine HD imagery every day
but in my home environment I find no need to replicate what I see at
work because I primarily watch programs through my hd cable box and
that as you probably know is highly compressed 720.

I'm all for the improvement of picture quality. I can't begin to tell
you how happy tv professionals are to finally be rid of standard def
imagery. But enjoy the blu ray while it's still around cause I think
it's lifespan will be quite short.

convenience always seems to trump over quality. the beta vs vhs battle
of the 80's is a great example. My cable box (and downloads/streaming
in the future) is/will be more convenient than physical discs. and I
think the same could be said of mp3's vs cd's.

--
exile