On 10/19/2015 11:14 AM, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> I don't like the way flagging is currently presented in the forum. To
> check a box that labels another comment as "defensiveness" or "hate
> speech" has a lot of potential for escalating conflict...see every other
> discussion board ever for examples of this.

I think you're misunderstanding how it works based on the way that
Robert's mock-ups showed it.

The labeling of something as having one or the other of these issues is
*not* part of a public discussion or even a back-and-forth discussion.
Saying publicly, "that's hate speech" and having a conversation about it
is *exactly* the sort of problems you are talking about, and not at all
how flagging works on Snowdrift.coop.

Flagging on Snowdrift.coop is an *anonymous* hiding of someone's post
with a specific statement about which item(s) in the formal Code of
Conduct are involved. In other words, you don't get to reply at all.
There is no thread, there is no reply. There is *only* the fact that
your comment is hidden, and you get to repost it by fixing the issue.

It is a fundamentally different thing than getting a specific reply in a
conversation. You post something someone says is unconstructive
criticism, your post is flagged and hidden, and all you have is the fact
that your post is hidden and was checked as unconstructive criticism.
You don't get to reply, and you don't get told who flagged you. You get
to look at your post and figure out how to make it constructive, and
then you repost, and *then* we can predict reasonably that constructive
conversation will continue and bad feelings will subside as people are
happy that they are having productive discussion.

In short, I don't think our design is bad, but I *do* think the public
posting of something in the manner the mockup might have indicated
*would* be bad for the very reasons you bring up.

> I would like to see a format that allowed for traditional de-escalating
> forms of expressing offense: ie "I feel this when you do this."

While that makes sense for de-escalating if there's actually a
persistent conflict, the point is not to even *have* back and forth
discussion that includes problematic, disrespectful statements. I've
seen tons of forums where the focus gets lost and tons of things go
badly despite good will from some people because the topic gets
overwhelmed by the long discussion that mixes various defensiveness with
attempts at de-escalation.

Again, the point is that "I feel this when you do this" in various
forums gets replies like "whatever, screw you" if someone is really
upset or just being a jerk. And there's tons of subtle misunderstandings
where a comment had *zero* ill-will but was read that way by someone,
and then the whole thing becomes a long thread about the communication
instead of the topic at hand, and little things get misunderstood and
blow up all the attempts at reconciliation.

Again, this is about nipping it in the bud, fix the problematic post
immediately, no discussion. If you think it was fine, just fix it anyway
and try again so we can move on.

I can't say this strongly enough: I agree *completely* that publicly or
even in a back-and-forth discussion saying "that's defensive" isn't the
optimal communication style. But our flagging system is not that. The
unfortunate fact is that we *cannot* accept a totally loose style of
flagging that is all about just expressing feelings. We absolutely have
to have clear guidelines with precise items that can be pointed to as
violations because that sort of strict Code of Conduct is the only way
that marginalized people or those worried about caustic environments can
feel safe.

It cannot be the burden of someone who receives a personal attack to
rise up and express in great politeness how they feel and work on
de-escalating. For this type of situation where we're not discussing
personal relations, we're discussing projects and decisions and general
things, we have to simply say that personal attacks are not acceptable,
period. The thing is, while some forums shame people for slipping or
even ban them etc., we give them the chance to fix the comment and move on.

We don't *need* to de-escalate because we block the entire initial
escalation. The very first time anything is unconstructive or attacking
or condescending it gets flagged, fixed, reposted, and we move on. The
goal is to stop the escalation in the first place.

This is also not the right solution for a small in-person meeting. It's
the solution for a generalized, anonymous, open online forum which has
it's own issues. Real enforcement of Code of Conduct, not just
guidelines for de-escalation, is an absolute requirement. I would not
have recognized this myself a few years ago, but having gotten involved
in the online tech world, I know how serious the problems can be and how
inadequate just promoting de-escalation can be.

> I have a couple ideas. First, to just have a flag button, but not the
> option to check various offenses that are stated in accusatory language.
> Second, there could be just one button that says something like "I feel
> uncomfortable with this" and then the space to specify. I would
> especially like this option if there was a "this friend speaks my mind"
> button next to it that was equally prominent.

Yes, we want to also include friendly things to express agreement and
thanks. I think our goal is to do that with tags, although we could have
some separate dedicated things. Those two are the main items:
"agreement" and "thanks".

Aaron Wolf Snowdrift.coop <https://snowdrift.coop>