This makes sense to me.  Offering a few options rather than just one can
change people's decision frame from "shall I do this?" (yes vs. no) to
"how shall I do this?" (option 1 vs. option 2. vs none of the above).
Offering a one-time option can allow people to try engaging without
making more of a commitment than they feel ready for.  Of course it
would be good to include an option to receive occasional communications
as a result of the one-time donation, but important for that to be
opt-in with a clear promise that you can unsubscribe anytime.  And it's
certainly good to avoid making people feel at all pressured or
manipulated, which can threaten peoples' need for autonomy and trigger
psychological reactance (i.e. the motivation to avoid doing what you
feel pressured to do, even if you might have chosen to do it on your own
if you hadn't felt that someone was pressuring you).

I also think it may be helpful or even important to offer options for
fractional and multiple patronage.  For example, if a project has a lot
of a patrons so the monthly amount per patron is high, and I'm only an
occasional user of what that project produces but would like to support
it, I could opt to be 1/4 of a patron.  Or if a project I use heavily
and care a lot about doesn't yet have so many patrons, or has plenty but
I still want to give it extra support, I could opt to be a double or
triple patron, etc.

Best,

Michael

Michael Siepmann, Ph.D.
*The Tech Design Psychologist*™
/Shaping technology to help people flourish/™
303-835-0501   TechDesignPsych.com
<http://www.TechDesignPsych.com?id=esig>   OpenPGP: 6D65A4F7
<http://pool.sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?search=0x6D65A4F7&fingerprint=on&hash=on&op=vindex>