On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 10:21:23AM -0700, Bryan Richter wrote:
> Website work is blocked on taking care of the blog, so let's do that.
> We have to make some decisions, but first we need to agree on what
> purpose we are trying to achieve.
>
> To frame the "purpose" discussion, I'll pose the first question: Where
> does the blog live? The decision flowchart starts with:
>
>     1. Blog lives on the main site
>     2. Blog lives somewhere else
>
> Which shall it be?
>
> But let's not simply answer that question. Let's start by
> understanding why we have a blog, and figure out what we need to make
> it a success. From there, it should be easier to agree on this
> decision, and the ones that follow.
>
> Here's my brainstorm for the blog's purpose:
>
>     1. Show signs of life
>     2. Keep people engaged
>     3. Talk about problems we're facing
>     4. Talk about progress we've made
>     5. Add more content to the Internets, making it easier for people
>        to find us in searches

If the blog doesn't need comments, I could very easily throw together a site
using Hakyll <https://www.jaspervdj.be/hakyll/>, and post it somewhere.

Advantages:

* Content is managed and deployed using git.
* It's Haskell, so any of our devs can tweak the site generation.
* The Hakyll site can easily generate static content, including RSS/Atom feeds,
  uniform styling, etc.
* Static sites are easy to maintain and deploy
* Can be hosted cheaply, and independently from the main Snowdrift server. (I
  can do site administration if need be).

Disadvantages:

* Can't handle form input, which would include comments or maybe surveys.

--

Peter Harpending