On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 12:59 AM, Bryan Richter <br...@snowdrift.coop> wrote:
On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 09:22:46PM -0600, Michael Siepmann wrote:

 On 05/18/2016 05:51 PM, Bryan Richter wrote:
 > On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 12:13:34PM -0600, Peter Harpending wrote:
 >> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 10:21:23AM -0700, Bryan Richter wrote:
 >>> Website work is blocked on taking care of the blog, so let's do
 >>> that. We have to make some decisions, but first we need to agree
 >>> on what purpose we are trying to achieve.
 >>>
 >>> To frame the "purpose" discussion, I'll pose the first question:
 >>> Where does the blog live? The decision flowchart starts with:
 >>>
 >>>     1. Blog lives on the main site
 >>>     2. Blog lives somewhere else
 >>>
 >>> Which shall it be?
 >>>
 >>> But let's not simply answer that question. Let's start by
 >>> understanding why we have a blog, and figure out what we need to
 >>> make it a success. From there, it should be easier to agree on
 >>> this decision, and the ones that follow.
 >>>
 >>> Here's my brainstorm for the blog's purpose:
 >>>
 >>>     1. Show signs of life
 >>>     2. Keep people engaged
 >>>     3. Talk about problems we're facing
 >>>     4. Talk about progress we've made
 >>>     5. Add more content to the Internets, making it easier for
 >>>        people to find us in searches

 Would https://withknown.com/ be worth considering?  I'm considering
 using it myself since I like the idea of the IndieWeb
 (http://indiewebcamp.com/) which I learned about from Aaron - and it
 seems to be by far the easiest way to do that.  There's some info
 about it at http://indiewebcamp.com/Projects too.

It looks pretty slick. I added it to a list on the User Story:

https://tree.taiga.io/project/snowdrift/us/61

Once we collect a few more possibilities, I think it will be time to
try to compare the pros and cons.

Another possibility is Medium.com.

I believe they are only partially FLO (openness is one of their core values, but not with a code focus), but they have a wonderful UX, a snowdrift-compatible color scheme, and, I believe, an existing readership that is likely to be interested in Snowdrift.coop (though perhaps more from an angle of "this is an exciting new innovation" than "this is important for the FLO ecosystem" -- people who we can convert!).