On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 10:03 PM, Aaron Wolf <aa...@snowdrift.coop> wrote:
On 08/02/2016 06:48 PM, Stephen Michel wrote:
<snip>
I think the cleanest initial way to go is "No more than $limit will be
 added to your outstanding balance each month." That is, carried over
 matches should *not* be counted towards your monthly limit, but fees
 should, in their entirety.

Well said. Even though I have some willingness to defer to Robert and
see his view…

Me, too! Curious about Michael's view as well.

Well, let me put it this way: Stephen just stated the best wording of my
own initial view. The idea that in two months, I pay less than 2x my
monthly max is just fine. There's nothing objectionable about "we
combined two months of charges into one charge to avoid excessive fees".
That does not violate the expectations of someone having a monthly
budget limit, it just says that they paid the first month late, charged
at the same time as the second month.

So, I think Stephen's suggestion to count fees but not carry-overs is
indeed the best approach, even though I won't fight that hard against
Robert's "no charge is ever more than 1-month's-max". But in the end, a month that had *no* charges* followed by a 2-month-worth charge the next
month is, I think, still in-line with patrons' budget expectations.

Worth noting: deferred charges are different from a rolling balance.

If your monthly limit is $10, it's acceptable to charge $0 one month and $20 the next ONLY if $10 was added to your balance each month. If the first month added $5, it's NOT acceptable to add $15 the following month just because "it's still $10/mo". imo.