Paraphrasing all my quotes because context is way too long already.

mray said:
Having a rollover cause unmatching is an extreme edge case

If that's true, going over your limit from a rollover is an extreme edge case, too.

I think this is an edge case, but not an extreme one. If my limit is $3 and the minimum is $2, and my current pledges total just over $1.50, I will encounter the unmatching scenario every other month. That's possible in any scenario where the limit is less than double the maximum.

Aaron said:
Right, and I agree that all other versions of the limit are problematic in requiring explanation such as "we may charge multiple months in one
 charge."

Disagreed. There is nothing new or confusing about combining charges. Do you pay for each item at a grocery store individually? No, they're itemized on the same receipt. Let's present our history like a receipt, where it just so happens that you can break each item down further. Example:

/--April 2016----------------------------------\
|                                              |
| Project Z with long name  987        $0.98   |
|                                              |
\-------------------------------------$0.98----/

/--May 2016------------------------------------\
|                                              |
| Project Name X  6543                 $6.54   |
| Project Y  842                       $0.84   |
| Payment processing fee: Stripe       $0.66   |
|                                              |
\-------------------------------------$10.39---/

/--June 1, 2016--------------------------------\
\---Credit card charge----------------$11.37---/

/--June 2016-----------------------------------\
|                                              |
| Project Z with long name  987        $1.08   |
|                                              |
\-------------------------------------$1.08----/

<--Lorem Ipsum Charges pending*-------$1.08---->

*Or, "outstanding balance" or something.

A little prettiness added here would go a long way towards intuitive understanding (eg, credit card charge is in gold while other numbers are in black), but I think this is good enough to communicate the vision.

mray said:

If we let the user set a limit we need a darn good reason to ignore it
 *ever*. This is not a good reason.

I've been under the impression we are going to present this as a monthly limit on your **pledges** (for all intents and purposes, fees are a part of the pledge). That's totally different than a limit on the amount we will charge your credit card at one time.

If we present the history as such (ie, like the example above), I think it's abundantly clear that no month's charge has exceeded the limit and thus we have broken no promise.

 So, here's my proposal: -snip-

 I see zero downsides to this approach.

I think the downside is, this is significantly harder/more complicated to explain and to display a history of.

"April's amount was under the minimum, so its charge has been spread out between May, June, and July." Certainly do-able. Certainly much less simple.