On 08/09/2016 08:09 AM, Aaron Wolf wrote:

> On 08/09/2016 06:31 AM, Stephen Michel wrote:
>> On August 9, 2016 8:59:16 AM EDT, Bryan Richter <br...@snowdrift.coop> wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>> I suggest we specify it as a maximum fee percentage, however, to help
>>> adapt to future fee differences. That being the case, I propose we
>>> choose 15% as the maximum fee percentage (plus or minus some tenths of
>>> a percent).
>> A % fee max, rounded to the nearest pretty dollar amount, seems like the way
>> to go to me. 15% / $2 seems reasonable to me.
>>
> I agree that 15% fee is the maximum fee, seems sensible enough, and that
> makes it processor-neutral. I don't agree with Stephen's idea of
> rounding to nearest dollar, that's far too low resolution. I think just
> rounding to nearest cent is fine.

15% seems high to me.  Thinking as a patron, I'd be more comfortable if
the proportion of my money going to the payment processor stayed in
single digits.

I agree we don't need to round it but the messaging on my history mockup
will need to change to refer to percentage rather than amount, since it
would seem odd to say "Below $3.66 minimum..." etc.  There's also a
question of whether the percentage should be of the total crowdmatch, as
in Bryan's table, or the total charge.  I think percentage of total
charge is simpler for the user to understand, i.e. of the amount charged
to my payment method, the percentage going to the payment processor will
always be under 10%, or in other words the amount going to projects will
always be over 90%.  In my mockup, the current note explaining a
carryover to the next month to avoid excessive payment processor fees is:

    Carried over to next month      ($0.72)      Below $2 minimum charge
via Stripe

If we do a threshold based on percentage of total charge, the note could
instead be:

    Carried over to next month      ($0.72)      Stripe fee would exceed
10% of charge

In the case of Stripe's 2.9% + 30c charge, this would make the minimum
charge $3.66, which seems reasonable to me, combined with the $5 minimum
limit that Aaron proposed.