On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 08:59:25AM -0700, Aaron Wolf wrote:

> Okay, interjection: if idents must be emails now, we still want to
> maintain distinct ident vs email columns in the db? Maybe that's the
> easiest and cleanest… Long-term, we'd like to support having
> multiple emails available (like one for ident and one for
> notifications or something). But if we were starting fresh, would we
> have the two columns and make them match or just use ident *as*
> email?

There is no ident column right now. Just email. There's an *ID*
column, which is all we need right now to allow for the later
possibility of adding usernames or additional email addresses.

> On 08/12/2016 07:31 AM, Bryan Richter wrote:
> >
> > There's a really really easy solution to this migration question:
> > blow away the entire user table and start over from scratch.
> > Everyone creates a new account. (Plan HECK)
> >
> > There's also the super fine-grained deeply-considered maximally
> > optimal solution, which I've basically laid out above. It would
> > take at least a week to do it right (waiting around for users to
> > act after we've sent them emails). (Plan ZOWIE)
> >

> It doesn't cost us a week of work to just wait for people. It's not
> a blocker of anything is it?

It will take multiple hours at least to compose the various emails,
double check the lists (for instance, I just realized that there are
some duplicates between the lists), reach out to people individually,
etc.

I'm going to be sending the lists to you and Salt shortly. Up to you.

> Will we keep the establishment stuff even though it isn't used at
> the present time in the new master stuff?

We are already "keeping" it in the form of database backups. We can
add it back when some feature or workflow requires it.

[Listing the plan again for reference:]