On 03/07/2017 10:25 AM, Tufts wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 1:15 PM, Aaron Wolf <aa...@snowdrift.coop> wrote:
>> On 03/07/2017 09:06 AM, Tufts wrote:
>>
>>     It will be interesting to see how this works out. ----------
>>     Forwarded message ---------- From: Tom Smith <odl-giv...@mit.edu
>>     <mailto:odl-giv...@mit.edu>> Subject: Save the Date for The MIT
>>     24-hour Challenge Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 12:21:36 -0500 To:
>>     stephen.mic...@tufts.edu <mailto:stephen.mic...@tufts.edu> Save
>>     the Date for The MIT 24-hour Challenge MIT's 24-hour Challenge on
>>     Pi Day! View this email in your browser
>>
>> <http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=ad81d725159c1f322a0c54837&id=0a536e529b&e=7149e9efdc>
>>
>> <http://edx.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ad81d725159c1f322a0c54837&id=5e5d5f0e12&e=7149e9efdc>
>>     Dear , We are excited to participate in the first MIT 24-hour
>>     Challenge! The goal is to encourage 1,500 people to donate
>>
>> <http://edx.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ad81d725159c1f322a0c54837&id=6a40317dd7&e=7149e9efdc>
>>     – at any amount – on one day, March 14th (Pi Day). If we reach
>>     this goal then MIT will receive a $150,000 gift from a generous
>>     donor. The clock starts at 12AM on March 14 and will run until
>>     11:59PM EST. In the meantime, please consider becoming a campaign
>>     ambassador
>>
>> <http://edx.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ad81d725159c1f322a0c54837&id=aeb22369dd&e=7149e9efdc>
>>     and help us raise awareness about the challenge. We look forward
>>     to keeping you posted on the giving day and we hope you'll
>>     consider helping us reach our goal. Sincerely, Tom Smith
>>
>> As I've said generally, this sort of matching is good (way better than
>> no matching), but there's no risk reduction (all donations go ahead no
>> matter what), and the threshold means I, as an individual can say "I
>> like this, but too busy too worry about it, I hope others will hit the
>> threshold. But it's a good campaign as campaigns go anyway.
>
> It does do one thing differently than other matching campaigns, which is
> that the amount of each person's donation doesn't matter; it only
> matters that 1500 people donate. It is a similar to snowdrift in that it
> tries to reduce barriers to donation.
>
> We do that better because your donation also incentivizes others to
> donate, whereas here your donation is still unilateral. And theirs is
> also a hard cutoff instead of scaling.
>
> It will still be interesting to see what happens. Perhaps some
> interesting conclusions about how much participation this gets compared
> to standard matches.

Oh yeah, that's true! Now that you emphasize it, I've not seen a match
based on donor numbers before, only based on dollars!

Incentive, of course, to take your $10 and give it to 5 friends to each
have them donate instead of you donating it all (an issue Snowdrift.coop
has in some respects too) — I doubt this is a big issue though.