I use a shopping basket and then `for item in basket`. The fact that the item
could be a single thing or a carton of eggs (=list), which could also be looped
through, helps.
I think the point about not using `egg` as the variable name is extremely
import.  If you say `for line in myfile` they think `line` is a magic word that
grabs a line and `word` or `letter` would act differently.
The main conceptual hang up seems to be how the variable gets reassigned each
time.
It is also not "proper convention" and freaks out CS people, but I like to
capitalize the variable names, so it is easier to distinguish special Python
words from arbitrary names.
-Steve