Hi all,

> On 26 May 2016, at 10:52, Jan Kim <jtt...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Matthias,
>
> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 09:46:54AM +0200, Matthias Nilsson wrote:
>> Jan Kim <jtt...@googlemail.com> wrote on Wed [2016-May-25 19:35:38 +0100]:
>>> Dear Matthias, dear All,
>>>
>>> probably a question tangential to the subject of this thread but --
>>> are SBML models data, or are they software? Personally I'm inclined
>>> to categorise them as the latter.
>>
>> Dear Jan,
>>
>> Can you elaborate? My gut feeling is that it's closer to a database
>> than to a software library, since there is only static data.

According to Wikipedia, at least, ‘software’ as a term also encompasses
non-executable code and data (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software>) - even if this is not a way in which
I often hear the term used. In general, to the extent that static data (e.g.
comments and default function parameters) are part of executable code, I’d say
there is precedent for static data being considered (a part of) software ;)
Less flippantly, an SBML model could be considered to be instructions for an
interpreter (modelling tool) in the same sense that Python bytecode could be
considered instructions for an interpreter, we might also consider it to be
software, in the same way.

If it’s any help for the original question, the models at BioModels
(https://www.ebi.ac.uk/biomodels-main/termsofuse
<https://www.ebi.ac.uk/biomodels-main/termsofuse>) are under the CC0 Creative
Commons Public Domain declaration - which I think is a reasonable practice.

Cheers,

L.

--
Leighton Pritchard