April,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.  I'll restate for two cases.  I'll
try to be clearer and more succinct.

If I assume that all SWC shell lessons will cover loops when I start
planning my lesson, I may end up in a bad place if not all Shell
lessons will have covered it and I count on it.

If I assume that everyone who takes an SWC Novice Python Inflammation
will have seen try: except:, but it is not covered by all SWC
instructors, then I might end up in a bad place.

Where my question was sort of really leading was back to the notion of
the really 'core' material that will be covered by everyone who
teaches a lesson with that title, so that someone outside any
particular workshop can be reasonably assured that some clearly
definied _minimum_ set of topics would be covered.

I understand there is always tension between presenting what seems
'right' somehow for the level of the participants and what's in the
lesson plans, but if the lesson plans were shorter, they would be more
accurate representations of what was _actually_ covered in all (or
most all) lessons of a particular type, both for people who might want
to build on them and for the people who might want to sign up for
them.

For that last mentioned thought, there are two cases in point that
have come up in my experience, a) someone who signs up because they
are maybe a little shaky on the morning's Python topics, but are
really looking forward to Functions, Errors and Exceptions, Defensive
Programming, and Debugging, and then comes away disappointed when
those don't get covered; b) the *verse (inverse, obverse, converse, or
reverse) of that, three of four people really are rank beginners, but
most of the other participants are in case a), so the instructor
shorts the early topics to be sure to have time for the more advanced
ones, and the beginners are at sea after about 30 minutes.  I believe
I've seen both here.

My intuition tells me that maybe restricting the material that's
'required' but providing ample material that's 'extra' might help.  It
would help make descriptions more accurate ahead of time (which might
make learner self-placement easier), and it would help those who
expect coverage of the listed topics later.

I wanted to toss the idea out to the general population to see if
anyone else was thinking about intermediate workshops and thus might
care about having a reliable set of topics in precursors, or who might
have experienced people who were disappointed in the workshops because
they either lagged or sped and might think this could help reduce
their numbers.

Thanks, again, for your thoughtful reply.  I hope I've manged to
clarify rather than murk.

-- bennet

P.S.  Which intermediate topics are you thinking about/working on?
I've thought a couple of times about putting something together that
does the equivalent of a full day of shell, and half days of make, and
git, with some kind of pipeline/workflow that does something
comprehensible as the product at the end.  That wouldn't be SWC, but I
think most of the core concepts would be covered, and I think it would
be useful to quite a large scientific audience.  I will have to take
an extended vacation to get it done, though.