Hi Lex,

Quoting Lex Nederbragt <lex.nederbr...@ibv.uio.no> on Tue, 11 Oct 2016 09:38:04 +0200:

We will be teaching the SWC ‘make’ lesson for the first time in a couple of weeks. Do we need to provide the learners with instructions for installing make, or is it a default part of all platforms? If not, are there any more-or-less curated installation instructions available somewhere?

Thanks in advance,

        Lex Nederbragt

You'll need to provide installation instructions. Putting them into the workshop template [1] was recently dropped in favour of putting them into their lesson template [2], which hasn't yet happened. I use my own, copying and pasting from [3] (which renders as [4]). Though, as the SWC installer [5] installs GNU Make onto GitBash I'd change the Windows instructions to be [6].

cheers,
mike

[1] https://github.com/swcarpentry/workshop-template/issues/228
[2] https://github.com/swcarpentry/make-novice
[3] https://github.com/hpcarcher/2014-12-03-edinburgh/blob/gh-pages/_includes/setup.html
[4] http://hpcarcher.github.io/2014-12-03-edinburgh/
[5] https://github.com/swcarpentry/windows-installer
[6]

The Software Carpentry Windows installer installs Make.
<ul>
<li>
To test, open a Git Bash window, type <code>make</code>, and press Enter.
</li>
<li>
You should see the following message
<pre>make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.</pre>
This means that Make was successfully installed.
Otherwise, you'll see this error message:
<pre>bash: make: command not found</pre>
</li>
</ul>

--
Lex Nederbragt
Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis (CEES)

Dr. Michael (Mike) Jackson         m.jack...@epcc.ed.ac.uk
Software Architect                 Tel: +44 (0)131 650 5141
EPCC, The University of Edinburgh  http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk
Software Sustainability Institute  http://www.software.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.