Dear Carpentry folk,

this summer we are repeating last year’s DIBSI out here at UC Davis!
http://ivory.idyll.org/dibsi/.

There are four different sets of events that people might be interested in --

first, we’re running a two-day instructor training course for teachers and core
facility personnel to become Carpentry instructors (June 25-26).  This is a
full Carpentry train-the-trainers, and people who are having a hard time
finding a local Instructor Training can come! (It does cost $350, however.) For
newly trained instructors there will be an opportunity immediately after to
observe and TA at our second set of events, which follows...

——

second, we’re planning on running several SC/DC workshops on campus (June
27-28)! Since we have great facilities and lots of room, and are organizing a
multi-ring circus anyway, we thought why not run a bunch of actual DC/SC
workshops?? We don’t have specific plans around which materials yet, but we are
happy to support “pilots” of new lesson plans - get in touch with us at
dibsi.train...@gmail.com if you are interested in teaching one of these! (e.g.
HPC, Library Carp, new Genomics, Social Sciences, etc. etc.)

——

third, and not really announced on the site yet — we are hoping to run a
regional Carpentry Con, CarpentryCon West (June 30-July 1)! The idea is to get
together folk from the West coast of the Americas, including South and Central
America, as well as maybe some of the Asian and Australian Carpentry folk, to
talk and kibbitz and do lesson dev.  Assuming financial things go well, we’d be
able to fly in a few people for this as well.  Possible topics we’ve already
discussed include: Spanish translation of materials; Library Carpentry. (We are
still lacking a lead on this, hint hint.)

Drop us a note at dibsi.train...@gmail.com if you’re interested in getting
involved, or passionate about making certain things happen!

——

fourth, following all of this, we will be running a two-week introductory
bioinformatics workshop (July 2-July 14). This is a continuation of the ANGUS
course that we’ve been running since 2010 (!!), and is a
zero-entry/no-experience-required intro workshop, taught ~Carpentry style, and
in The Cloud.

Most people on this list would be overqualified to *take* it, but we are
actively seeking TAs and would be happy to bring Carpentry-trained instructors
out to California for the two weeks (and cover travel, room, board) if they are
interested in helping out.  Last year we had a great group of local and
visiting instructors, and our feedback was that everyone had a really good
time! See “getting involved” at
http://ivory.idyll.org/dibsi/getting-involved.html
<http://ivory.idyll.org/dibsi/getting-involved.html> if you’re interested.

And, of course, feel free to let people at your institution and in your network
know about the two-week workshop - see the announcement, below.

——

And if you have other thoughts on how you’d like to be involved in any of this,
just ask!

Some details of past years —

http://ivory.idyll.org/blog/2018-dibsi-2017-assessment.html
<http://ivory.idyll.org/blog/2018-dibsi-2017-assessment.html> - Karen Word’s