Thank you for your response, Inigo. Actually, in our experience teaching
git/GitHub as a separate, isolated item had come with an unnecessary cognitive
burden that we reduced by integating it with Shell. The audiences we worked
with were researchers (grad students, postdocs, staff, faculty) and were driven
to acquire additional skills to help them with their research and data analysis
objectives. Not by the intent to go out and "learn Unix," or "learn
programming," or "learn git/GitHub." Their primary objective was and is to
solve problems and to learn whatever tools are needed to address a challenge.
If then the challenge becomes to access a file shared by the instructor and
alter it as part of the Shell session, then accessing this file on GitHub,
messing with it and pushing altered versions back to their own GitHub accounts
turns actually into rather effortless adoptions of the practises required to
use git to achieve the objectives of accessing, updating and sharing a data
file.

So, from my experiecne having observed this at work during a few runs of the
workshop my anser to your question about "too much cognitive load" is "No."

Does this make any sense?

Uwe

Uwe Hilgert, Ph.D.

Associate Research Professor
Director of Industry Relations, Workforce Development & STEM Training
BIO5 Institute (http://www.bio5.org), The University of Arizona
(http://www.arizona.edu)
O 520-626-1367  |  F 520-626-4824