I found this very interesting. I also find that mixtures of cultural
backgrounds in the class – or a difference between myself and the learners –
can sometimes lead to confusion in the different ways people describe the
symbols in particular.

I spent the first half day leading a week-long training (not for coding, but
for something internal to the company I was working for where there was an
internal “language” to be learned) before I realized that while I was
describing them as “braces,” “square brackets,” and “parentheses,” my learners
described these as “flower brackets,” “square brackets,” and “round brackets,”
and the three together under the umbrella of “brackets,” which I only used in
reference to the square ones. Learning got much faster after we got that
squared away!

~ Amy

Amy E. Hodge, PhD
Science Data Librarian
amyho...@stanford.edu<mailto:amyho...@stanford.edu>
650.556.5194
[cid:image001.png@01D3B9DD.C20D7850]
orcid.org/0000-0002-5902-3077<https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5902-3077>

Data Management Services
Branner Earth Sciences Library, 212 Mitchell
397 Panama Mall; MC 2211
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305