This is a sweet idea. We already have a few videos up on the website:
https://software-carpentry.org/lessons/#video

I often find (especially with free workshops) that many learners do not
prepare (a significant portion do not even install software beforehand). I
would not expect many learners to watch videos before they come to class.

I find in-person Q&A/debugging and exercises to be very useful parts of the
workshop. When I teach the collaboration part of Git ([usually in line with
this](http://swcarpentry.github.io/git-novice/08-collab/)) I have pairs of
learners do a number of exercises (collaborator clones, edits, commits &
pushes; owner pulls; owner edits, commits & pushes; both edit, commit, push
at same time; both edit same line, commit, push) at their own pace. The
helpers & I check in with each group periodically and debug / discuss
concepts, conflicts in git, and so on. This takes 30-45 minutes, and if
some learners are advanced, I ask them to explore GitHub's UI, merges, pull
requests, and so on. This environment is most similar to the "flipped
classroom" that I've seen Software Carpentry taught.