On Tue, 31 May 2005 15:38, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2005 20:23:13 PM -0400, Daniel Carrera
>
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > Chris BONDE wrote:
> > >Now the basic concept of rewarding a person for disclosing their
> > >idea to the world instead of keeping it a secret is good (patent).
> >
> > That is neither the intention, nor the effect of patents.
>
> As far as I know, it indeed *is*. I (government):
>
> 1) make sure that everybody can learn all the details of new
>    technologies by *forcing* inventors to disclose what they did.
> 2) keep inventors motivated to keep inventing while giving away by
>    granting them a temporary monopoly.
>
> > The intention of patents was to encourage people to work on
> > developing ideas with the promise that, in return, they would be
> > granted a temporary monopoly.
>
> No. Without patents people would have invented and sold anyway, just
> keeping the secret on how they did stuff. Meaning that their monopoly,
> without the patent papers which are mandated just to share knowledge
> as *early* as possible, could have lasted even longer than a patent
> duration.

Patents were a means of breaking the monopoly of the Guilds, and by forcing
their hidden knowledge out into the open, it gave various unspeakable forms
of politician, eg, the Kings of England, a way of extracting further moneys.

It also sped up the diffusion of knowledge, but that was merely a secondary
effect.  Breaking the Guilds and ensuring they couldn't get their act
together was a more major part of it - now you have the patent system in the
sworn service of the Guilds again.

> Marco

Wesley Parish
-----