And BIND is a niche product?  BSD's TCP/IP?

There was a big hiss and roar about something called the OSI stack at one
stage.  It was backed by all the major companies.  TCP/IP got started first.
The big companies never got OSI off to any sort of start.

So much for "a program's quality's proportional to it's price"!  A program
quality's also proportional to its existence, and Firefox has got the lead in
innovation and security over MS IE.

Wesley Parish

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 04:43, Chuck wrote:
> My point is that OSS will never be more than a small niche compared to
> commercial software. Most people believe that a program's quality is
> proportional to it's price. In their minds, free = piece of crap,
> expensive equals great software with great support. I'm not saying this
> is true, but it's what most people think.  People for some strange
> reason *want* to pay for software when equal or superior software is
> available for free.
>
> OSS has been available for years to fill many needs and yet it never
> garners more than 1-2% of the market. Firefox, Thunderbird, OOo, Linux,
>  and others are perfect examples. They are all superior to their
> commercial counterparts but are no where near replacing them in the market.
>
> Alex wrote:
> > OSS has already replaced a number of commercial elements.  Firefox for
> > browsing, Thunderbird for email, OpenOffice for (guess what here) in my
> > business, Linux for a file server ( soon the desktop).  I don't get your
> > commment. :-)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Alex Janssen
> >
> > Chuck wrote:

> >> There are four things in life that are guaranteed...
> >>
> >> 1) You will be born
> >> 2) You will die
> >> 3) You will pay taxes
> >> 4) OSS will _NEVER_ replace commercial software

-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?