Robin Laing wrote:
Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 22:31 -0500, mark wrote:

Then, of course, there's the LARGE number of us who DESPISE HTML mail (aka virus-spreader email), and who REALLY DO NOT WANT to HAVE to open a goddamned dog-slow word processor to read our email. (We won't even *begin* to talk about idiots who send out .pdf email....)

Viruses in e-mail are a problem specific to Windows. In fact, I don't

No, they're not. It's only that 90% or higher of all viruses are targeted towards Windows, for 2 reasons: first, that Windows is what 86% or so of all computers are running, and second, because M$ products have *SO* many bugs (aka virus hooks) and are installed by default insecurely.
<snip>
But you're right, usually HTML mail is just plain unnecessary.

Actually, if you have a mail browser that isn't capable or configure to view html, you will see the message repeated. Once in plain text and once in html.

*sigh*

That's as bad as the insulting email "get an HTML-capable email viewer" on a spam. Unless you're running pine or mutt, etc, from a command line, I don't know of a single email tool that *doesn't* support HTML email. Rather, we set the option to DENY HTML email.

Further, most of the damn spam does *not* show the same. In plain text, for example, you see a bunch of garbage - random words or paragraphs, etc, while in HTML you see the actual ad.

        mark
--
The sixties grant amnesty to no one." - Tullio Proni