Tony Pursell wrote:

> On 23 Mar 2006 at 12:59, Mathias Bauer wrote:
> 
>> At least inside OOo you can switch languages under
>> "Tools-Options-Language Settings". And there is also a setting
> 
> But my point is that this is a long and cumbersome way to change 
> language AND relies on the user knowing enough of the current 
> language to get through the process to change to their own language.
> 
> For instance, if my wife finds I have left OOo in Welsh, how does she 
> know that she has to select 'Saesneg (DU)'.  She needs an easy menu 
> choice of 'English (GB)'.

Then you should create two different users and make sure that one user
always gets the English version and the other one the Welsh. OOo's
language settings can be done on a per user base.
Sharing one system user for several OOo users is not a good idea if you
have some settings you want to use differently always.

Using a program outside of OOo to swith its language settings as the
mentioned language switching of OOo1.1.3-ZA is just a hack (that was
necessary at that time because OOo1 didn't play so well with the system
as Ooo2 does nowadays).

>> "automatic". Don't know how it automatically selects but I assume that
>> is using system settings and has two fallbacks in case the system
>> language is not available, first english than any language it can
>> find.
>> 
> What is this 'automatic' setting.  How does one use it?

As I wrote: I'm not comepletely sure. I *assume* that if you start OOo
for the first time for a certain user OOo checks the system setting for
the GUI language and then tries to find a language pack in its
installation that matches it. If it can't find one it falls back to
english(US) and if it can't find this one it takes any language pack it
can find.

So having your system users configured accordingly and providing all
necessary language packs in the OOo installation should be enough. If it
doesn't work that way (at least on systems where you can select your GUI
language on a per user base) I would call this a bug in OOo.

If the OOo GUI language you want to use is not available for your OS as
a GUI language I assume you can live with getting OOo in the system
language the first time and then configure the desired GUI language for
this user.

Best regards,
Mathias

-- 
Mathias Bauer - OpenOffice.org Application Framework Project Lead
Please reply to the list only, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a spam sink.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to