Some lists exist:

http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/faqs/technical.jsp#q_13
http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/mostfaqs.html#6

Malte.

William W. Austin wrote, On 04/25/07 21:22:
> On 2007-04-25 12:47:46, J. David Boyd wrote:
>> Since Sun is currently selling StarOffice 8.0 for 50% off until May 7,
>> I'm tempted to buy a copy.
>>
>> I've scanned their web site, and searched Google, but I can't get a
>> definitive list of the differences between StarOffice 8.0 and
>> OpenOffice.org 2.2.
>>
>> Does such a list exist?
> 
> Sorry, but I have no idea.
> 
>> Does anyone know if the functionality of StarOffice is that much
>> greater
>> than OpenOffice.org?
> 
> I have both installed on the machine on which I am writing this.  On my  
> system they are both in /opt (this is linux but it would look about the  
> same under any unixlike system.  On windows, I don't know & won't guess.
> 
> The two "install" install directories (here) are
>       OOo     /u/opt/openoffice2.2
>       so      /u/opt/staroffice8
> (your locations could differ).
> Under each of these 2 directories there is a directory /share/gallery  
> which differs significantly between the two releases. There are many  
> more files under the SO directory than the OOo directory.
> 
> Size is a good indicator here - under so8, that directory contains  
> 51,240 Kb of files while under OOo it has only about 7,600 Kb.
> 
> I have tried to keep the patchlevel of so8 up to date, but overall I  
> find myself using OOo rather than so most of the time just because (a)  
> the new features/patches are available sooner, and - warning ... this  
> could be purely subjective - OOo seems to run a tad faster.
> 
> The big difference is .... (have to think about this one) ... well  
> except for what I have listed above, I cannot think of much to say here  
> (OK, different logo's, but the same product).
> 
> <soapbox>
> <!-- disclaimer: turn bs filter on or skip ... it's up to you -->
> I would still recommend buying the copy of so8, however.  IMHO this  
> eventually (nanoscopically) helps Sun, and Sun is the company which   
> opensourced staroffice, creating OOo in the first place.  In the  
> marketplace, I can only vote with my wallet.  I don't use or buy MS  
> products _or_ encourage anyone else to do so.  I use linux (fedora 6 on  
> this machine) and I encourage others to do the same.  And I help many  
> of them through the transition).  I would consider the $50 cost of SO8  
> to be a "contribution to a worthwhile company" and let it go at that -  
> whether I installed so8 or not.  (But you would pick up some  
> interesting graphics stuff if you did.) Just my $0.02 worth.
> </soapbox>
> 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to