On 8/20/07, Joshua Money <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does anyone know when there will be an update to open office to accommodate 
> new
> Microsoft office 2007 file formats.  I have already started receiving files 
> that were made
> with office 2007 and have no way of opening them.  So if anyone could give me 
> any
> suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks

A question first, are you running on Windows or Linux (or Mac) ?

One solution that would work (technically speaking) is to ask the
creators of those
files to save them in ODF. If the creator of the file uses MS Office
2007, that would
only work with the odf-converter plug-in
(http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/odf-converter/)

If the creator of the file uses MS Office 2003 (or XP or 2000), I
would advise him to
use the Sun plug-in because of better conversions quality (yes, MS
Office 2003 can
also generate .docx documents with the compatibility pack for Office
2007, so this
is not an impossible case).

I have had no success with the Novell plug-in for OO.o (anyone on this
list had better
experiences with it ?).

One other solution might be to run the odf-converter in command line mode (this
does work on a DOS prompt on Windows. Does it work on DOS emulators ??).

I also managed to get the odf-converter compilerd and running on a
pure Linux box on
mono, but that is quite a lot of work and the results are not perfect
(but certainly
usable). Check some of the pages below. Certainly, Michael Meeks is
the person that
would know best how to get the odf-converter running on a fully Open
Source (Free
Software ?) box (if that is your question).

 http://www.vandenabeele.com/openstandards/odf-converter-0.3M1/
 http://www.gnome.org/~michael/activity.html

Regarding OOXML import filters for OO.o from the Sun side, this blog entry
of 15 August 2007, sheds some ligt:

  http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/office_open_xml_ooxml_filters

Currently, I believe it is easier for people to exchange ODF documents than
OOXML documents, because most of the text processing applications
I know do support ODF well (for MS Office, that requires a plug-in, but
that approach works quite well at this time). For OOXML (your original
topic), I am only aware of MS Office supporting it really.

HTH,

Peter

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to