Dear Robert & Carl:

Being more familiar with Fedora, I will refer to that, as possibly the answer also exists in your Ubuntu environment.

You can use an experimental blank Writer document to place the special characters from the Oo 2.4 menu.

Then save the file.

Following that you have 2 choices, either or both.

1) Use the clipboard to cut and paste the characters into the real document.

2) Do the same into the notepad in a special note or notes for later repasting into other documents.

This can also be done for blocks of text, such as common expressions, slogans, salutations, letter closures, legal terms etc. ( work in English, French and Spanish, but if you prefer umlauts, you can have them too!)

While I did this originally in Windows with the clipboard, I am gradually copying it into a hyperlinked .ODT from a template I made. this template has turned out to be a Godsend for almost any subject, and that in 3 languages. It will also work in Oo 2.4, which I have installed on a laptop too old to run Win XP. (It runs Windows Me.)