Best answer yet. Thanks for the smile as well as for pointing out some facts.

Peter E. Szokoll

BioDynamicResources

Ressources BioDynamiques
112, de Levis Street

Granby, QC

Canada J2H 2G4

Tel.: 1-450-372-2899

Fax: 1-866-323-2133

Skype:skypediane

MSN:vizsl...@hotmail.com <mailto:vizsl...@hotmail.com>

pms-b...@live.com <mailto:pms-b...@live.com>

www.biodynamicresources.com <http://www.biodynamicresources.com>

On 1/29/2011 6:22 PM, Pat wrote:
A discussion of standard English is like a discussion of square clouds, or a marching troop of 3 columns of 10 cats each. A discussion can be had of the theoretical existence of such an entity, but in reality, it does not exist. We get as close as we can, and work around the rest, similar to working with "pi" in geometry. English(UK) is quite different in various parts of London, without mentioning Cardiff, Carlisle or Orkney Island differences. English in Boston, New York, San Antonio, or Harkers Island. (Many Harkers Island residents speak a distinct dialect of English, akin to Elizabethan English.) It would seem that we aught to choose the standard which suits our particular purpose most closely, and live with the wrongs of those who disagree with us.
After eighty years, I still use "harbour". and put a plaster on a cut.

Respectfully
Pat Rotchford