> On Sep 20, 2016, at 2:34 AM, Warsang <wars...@minet.net> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone, I am simulating a fat tree topology with ECMP. When one of my
> host sends an ARP request in broadcast, the packet is broadcasted through all
> switches which creates more and more traffic because I have no STP. My
> question is simple. What is the best way to get rid of these immortal
> packets? I thought of using something similar to a TTL header which would be
> decremented every time the packet hits a switch and dropped when it gets to
> zero however this method seems a bit too complicated to implement and I was
> wondering if there was a better, more simple way to do so using OVS?

I'm not sure what a TTL would look like in ARP, since it doesn't have such a
field, and an L2 switch wouldn't normally decrement one even if there were.  Do
you have enough visibility into the topology to program OVS to only forward
broadcasts in such a way that they won't form loops?  I've seen some SDN
applications do this to make better use of their links than can be achieved
with STP.

--Justin