Des,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> Hey everyone,
>               I am trying to show the youth of computer science education in a
> small piece i am writing, and I was hoping to refer to when the first
> computer science course was ever offered by a university. Does anyone
> know offhand where and when it was. i've tried googling, but with
> little success thus far.

We generally claim that the Cambridge Diploma course was the
first course leading to a qualification in computing. It was
first offered in 1953.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/UoCCL/intro/

I believe there were some informal research courses prior to
this, in particular the seminars at Princeton organised by von
Neumann

Alan
--
Alan Blackwell           Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/afb21/       Phone: +44 (0) 1223 334418