Hello Kari,

>   several natural words. In my opinion and experience,
>   the use of natural names makes programs more readable
>   and understandable,

When you say " more readable ...", what form of naming
conventions are you comparing against?

The problem with "natural names" is that people rarely agree
on what is natural.  Various studies have found that a surprisingly
large number of meanings are assigned to the same descriptive term
by different people.

For a discussion of my own attempt at experimentally proving
something, see www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/accu03.html

>   natural names. It seems that some students who
>   use natural names in their programs seem to perform
>   very well,

Do all students who use natural names perform well?
Do all students who don't use natural names perform badly?
What are the ratios?

Those interested in finding out more than they probably
want to know about identifier naming might like to check out
www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/782.pdf (there is the new improved
proof-read version).

derek

--
Derek M Jones                                           tel: +44 (0) 1252 520
667