From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Paola Kathuria
Sent: 02 July 2007 18:46
To: PPIG Discussion List
Subject: Re: PPIG discuss: Programmer education argument-starter of the
week

Mark Guzdial wrote:
> What motivates
> someone to pick up programming without any previous background (and
> without, presumably, any desire to make it a profession)?

I clearly remember why I wanted to learning to program, being stumped
when I started and the "aha!" moment when I got it.

When I was 18, I had a feeling I would like (and be good at) smoking,
programming and shooting guns. In my final year of my psychology degree,
programming was one of the offered options and I jumped at it.

We were taught BASIC and I remember staring miserably at a slide with:

     LET A = A + 1

I was flumoxed, thinking that it made no sense at all.

My "aha!" was when I realised that, although the 'A's looked exactly the
same (which rendered the statement meaningless), the A on the left was
actually the 'A'
in the future.

In contrast, I did badly on my physics 'A' level because I got stumped
frequently in class but was too shy to ask for help. Soon, there's
nowhere meaningful (in one's
head) to store the continual incoming new information and it all becomes
gobbledeegook.

Paola
--
http://www.paolability.com/

This message and any files transmitted with it are legally privileged and
intended for the sole use of the individual(s) or entity to whom they are
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by
reply and delete the message and any attachments from your system. Any
unauthorised use or disclosure of the content of this message is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.

Nothing in this e-mail message amounts to a contractual or legal commitment on
the part of EUROCONTROL, unless it is confirmed by appropriately signed hard
copy.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender.