Hi Matthew,

You are referring to older version of the Restlet API. AbstractRestlet is
now Restlet and doesn't directly dispatch the handle() method to
handleGet(), handlePut(), etc. This is now the role of the Finder and of the
Resource class.

First, you need to go beyond the simple method handling to become familiar
with the concepts of Resource and Representation. You can check this
tutorial part:
http://www.restlet.org/tutorial#part12

and also the Javadocs for indications on how to easily handle each method:
http://www.restlet.org/docs/api/org/restlet/resource/Resource.html

If you prefer, you can always test the request method manually:
  if(request.getMethod().equals(Method.PUT))

Best regards,
Jerome