Here's a test case to look at...

public class TestClass {

                try {
                        Request request = new Request(Method.GET,
"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa");
                        Client client = new Client(Protocol.HTTP);
                        client.handle(request);

                        System.out.println("This code shouldn't run!");

                } catch (Throwable t) {
                        // eat everything

The offending code is in HttpClientHelper#handle ...

    public void handle(Request request, Response response) {
        try {
HttpClientCall httpCall = getConverter().toSpecific(this, request);
            getConverter().commit(httpCall, request, response);
        } catch (Exception e) {
            getLogger().log(Level.WARNING,
                    "Error while handling an HTTP client call: ",
                    e.getMessage());
            getLogger().log(Level.INFO,
                    "Error while handling an HTTP client call", e);

As soon as I get my email confirmation from tigris, I'll file a bug report. I just wanted to mention this in case there are other areas you know about with similar code. If the goal is to log the exception, that's ok, but it needs to be re-thrown.

Thanks!

Adam