Greetings, all,

I am using Restlet with great pleasure to build a distributed set of web
services using HTTP Basic authentication.

I have run into the following occasional error from my Restlet-based client:

1002: Unable to send the HTTP request. Illegal character(s) in message header
value: Basic
VGVzdE11bHRpU2hlbGxVc2VyQGhhY2t5c3RhdC5vcmc6VGVzdE11bHRpU2hlbGxVc2VyQGhhY2t5
c3RhdC5vcmc=

After a fair amount of fiddling around, my hypothesis is that the problem has to
do with the length of the username and/or password: they appear to need to be
less than or equal to 26 characters in length.  At least, the problem seems to
go away when I reduce the string length to less than 26.

I have done some googling and failed to discover such restrictions on HTTP Basic
Authentication, so I am wondering if this possibly has something to do with
Restlet.

Could someone with more experience with Basic authentication enlighten me on
whether this is a Restlet issue, a Basic authentication issue, or perhaps
something else entirely?

Thanks very much
Philip Johnson