At Wed, 3 Oct 2007 19:39:10 -0700,
"Aron Roberts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In the message "Re: HEAD not well supported?", dated 10/3/07, Adam Taft wrote:
> >NO!  The whole point of HEAD is to emulate a GET request, except
> >without returning the message body.  You don't need to send 204
> >because, by definition, HEAD already means no content.
>
>    That makes sense: why return a status code indicating explicitly
> that no content is to be returned, since that may falsely imply that
> content in the entity body is sometimes allowed?
>
>    In that case, then, a status code of 200 would seem to be the only
> appropriate success response from an HTTP HEAD request.  Status codes
> 201 through 203 appear to be inappropriate to HEAD requests, as well.

To be pedantic: the status code is NOT part of the message headers,
and not then part of the metainformation which should be the same in a
HEAD as in a GET, per 2616. But I certainly can’t think of a good
reason to have a different status code for a HEAD from a GET.

> >A call to HEAD should return _exactly_ the same headers as the same
> >call to GET.
>
>    True.  Responses to HEAD requests should return the same set of
> HTTP headers as responses to GET requests, except for the empty
> entity body.
>
>    As a slight refinement, however, responses to HEAD requests should
> not always return the range of status codes appropriate to GET
> requests.  There are certain HTTP status codes are only appropriate
> to a specific HTTP method, or a subset of those methods.
> Specifically, there are some status codes that are appropriate to be
> returned in response to GET requests but not in response to HEAD
> requests.

Could you point these status codes out to me? I can’t figure out which
ones you might mean.

best,
Erik Hetzner
;; Erik Hetzner, California Digital Library
;; gnupg key id: 1024D/01DB07E3