Adam Taft wrote:

Peter Lacey wrote:
In that I agree. But in my scenario the client of the "authenticate service" is the resource being accessed, not the client requesting the resource. Visually: CLIENT ------ uname/pwd -------> RESOURCE ------ uname/pwd -------> AUTHENTICATE SERVICE

Right, gotcha.  The diagram helps.  :)

So, in identity management, you're usually not just wanting to "validate credentials," but generally want to also return other data, like maybe the user's full name, email, permissions/authorizations/roles, valid login times, token & token expiration, last login time, etc.
Exactly!

The request to the AUTHENTICATE SERVICE would generally return at least some resource that is applicable to your RESOURCE server. But, if there is absolutely no resource representation that is useful to the RESOURCE server from the AUTHENTICATE SERVICE, then I think the suggestion to use HEAD would be appropriate.
If you're only interested in the response code, sure. But it's more likely that you would want some representation back.

I guess the biggest thing I don't like is including any sort of password, encrypted or not doesn't matter, in the URL. This is just asking to be recorded somewhere too easily, and then subject to play back attacks.
Agreed.  I've backed off that idea.
I still think that an "authentication service" like you're describing should use a url scheme like /protected/{username} and use the built-in HTTP authentication mechanisms. You get the benefits of HTTP caching and other good things of using this well defined scheme.
Also agreed. That was my second proposal: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.restlet/3170

Pete