> I have to ask - why not just WebDAV here? Subversion supports it already,
> AFAIK.

I tend to agree, but pragmatically it's not that easy.  WebDAV isn't quite a
done deal in Restlet yet, though it's possible with some extra flexing, as some
recent threads here rehearse.

And the versioning aspects of Subversion are not strictly even WebDAV.  RFC
3253, "WebDAV Delta V," (WebDAV Versioning Extensions,
http://www.webdav.org/deltav/protocol/rfc3253.html) has very few actual
implementations, and no ubiquitous open source ones.  Subversion made the
decision to use a subset of RFC 3253 and to map this onto svn operations in a
way that valued interoperability with existing "regular" WebDAV clients, over
strict compliance with the RFC 3253 standard.  (I was participating in the
Subversion list at the time these decisions were initially taken, so I sort of
recall the debate ... but I haven't looked it up, somebody correct me if I'm
misquoting)

Anyway, if Restlet had robust WebDAV Level 1 semantics (which it doesn't yet,
but I think we've agreed it will), it still wouldn't be much of a Subversion
client if you're primarily interested in the versioning aspects.

- R