Musing (without any ability to code and see right this second) ...

I use Reference.getTargetRef() a lot for normalization purposes ... and if
it doesn't already do so, there has at least been discussion of making
getTargetRef() elide stuff like /foo/../bar to /bar, /foo/./bar to /foo/bar,
or /foo//bar to /foo/bar.  I think the API feature that might make sense is
one that uses getTargetRef() to normalize all such things to a canonical
reference before routing -- not just //.