From: Thierry Boileau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Well HTTPS
To: discuss@restlet.tigris.org
Date: Monday, November 17, 2008, 3:06 PM

Hello,

I suggest you have a look at this
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/#security (and then choose the
"keytool" documentation) and
http://blogs.sun.com/andreas/entry/no_more_unable_to_find.
You can find an explanation about the role of the keystore and the trustore
(try to get a clear idea of what these notions are). Try also to get what is a
server self certificate and how a client can trust it.

Then, you can make the link with the server connectors that support HTTPS
(http://wiki.restlet.org/docs_1.1/13-restlet/27-restlet/37-restlet.html).
Each of them require some parameters, especially some dedicated to the
server's keystore ("keystorePath", "keystorePassword",
etc).

>Sorry it seems basic questions, but I feel that it will be easer to u to
answer it.
I don't think it's basic questions, but don't panic! Just read a
little bit more.

Best regards,
Thierry Boileau
--
Restlet ~ Core developer ~ http://www.restlet.org
Noelios Technologies ~ Co-founder ~ http://www.noelios.com

> WARNING
> BRAIN OVERHEATING  /\
>
> I have read this
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Https
>

> and I want to implement HTTPS, in my sample application I converted
component.getServers().add(Protocol.HTTP, 8182);

> component.getServers().add(Protocol.HTTPS, 8182);
>

> Now Jersy is asking me a lot of questions in the shell (key and pass),  I
guess the answer and I wrote "me" as an answer for both questions!!

> /home/java/.keystore is not found and Exception is thrown...
>
> Is .keystore our Public Key Certificate, if yes, Is it created using
gensslcert??

> and where is the private key?
> if HTTPS is authenticating both sides (as I hardly understand) then there
must be one or two public keys and two private keys so server can authenticate
client and client can authenticate browser. the browser will authenticate the
server because server will send private key, (automatically I hope),

> if this is true how the server will authenticate the browser...
>
> MOST important question how I get all of this implemented, Is there
something else I should know?

> Sorry it seems basic questions, but I feel that it will be easer to u to
answer it.  especially  that Jersy  documentation on the WWW is  biiiiig.  and I
am even confused about HTTPS