hello Stephan,

On Saturday 20 December 2008 22:32:50 Stephan Koops wrote:
> Hi Raif,
>
> >> Another possibility to not require the browser login prompt is to use
> >> an AJAX reqeust and set the credentials in it. I've implemented this,
> >> but I needed a new return status for it, because if the server returns
> >> 401 (authentication required / invald) to the client, then the browser
> >> would open a login prompt. If needed, a could attach it to issue 505
> >>
> >> It is also good, if it is allowed to have multiple authentication
> >> mechanims allowed for one resource, e.g. with cookies as descibed
> >> above for browsers and with a HTML authentiction for software clients,
> >> which requesting e.g. XML or JSON.
> >
> > correct me if i'm wrong but if the aim of the Authentication is to
> > assert "who are you" then your identity should be the same whatever
> > Authentication mechanism was used.  in that respect _one_
> > Authentication mechanism should be enough.  on the other hand, "what
> > are you allowed to do" (incl. what type of Representation for a
> > requested Resource) is the domain of Authorization. in that respect one
> > (of potentially several conditions, incl. for example the time-of-day)
> > for authorizing a type of Representation could be the "grade" of the
> > Authentication mechanism used to establish your identity; i.e. an
> > Authentication mechanism based on a personal X.509 Certificate has a
> > higher grade than one based on non-encrypted user-name and password.
> >
> > what could be gained though from having an "aggregation/compounded"
> > style of user-credentials gathering mechanisms would be to increase the
> > trust in the established identity.  e.g. i would have more confidence
> > in your identity if i can check your credentials from two separate
> > sources; as a consequence i can then authorize you to do more.
>
> Here I was not precise enough: I meant alternative authentication
> mechanisms, not both must be passed.
> If I use a software client (web service), than basic or digest is fine,
> but if the client is a browser, than the cookie based may be better,
> because it allows corporate design: I think, a reason for not using REST
> styled web apps in the commercial is, that authentication in corporate
> design is more difficult than with Servlets: If the developer says to
> the manager: We have two alternatives: One allows corporated design to
> be used easily, and the other options has problems with it, what would
> he say? Right, he will say: "Use the options which allows it".

i see what you mean but just to clarify:  Cookies per se are not an
authentication mechanism but a technique to maintain a state which could be
used to claim previous alleged successful authentication.  even then, i see
two problems with Cookies: (a) users can have their Browsers reject them,
and (b) they contradict the REST principle (see section 6.3.4.2 of R.
Fielding dissertation http://roy.gbiv.com/pubs/dissertation/evaluation.htm).

i agree with you that allowing Restlet users/developers to plug-in their own
customized log-in form where user credentials can be obtained will be a
selling point.  this i think can be achieved by implementing in Restlet
something similar to what the Servlet specs' <login-config> and <auth-
method> elements provide.

--
cheers;
rsn