In order to support streaming writes of large ResultSets from a database, I am
deferring execution of my query until the write() method of my Representations.
 The resource is responsible for configuring the query string and handling
connection issues with the DB, but if there is a problem with the URL which
results in some bad sql, and an exception is thrown inside the write method,
the server always returns a 500 response even though I have subclassed
StatusService and it works for exceptions thrown in the Resource.

Is this expected behavior?  Are there suggestions on how I can set an error
status if an exception occurs in a representation?

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=2361698